I was browsing old Excel files and got the error “There was a problem sending the command to the program”, as the computer tried to open it up with Microsoft Office 2007 . I thought I just had corrupted files and ignored it, however when I got the same error upon downloading a freshly extracted and downloaded data then I knew something was wrong.
Below are the instruction how the issue got solved for me
1) Click the round Office button on the top left of Excel
2) Look and click the Excel Options button on the lower left of the menu bar that showed
3) Find the Advanced Section on the left side of the screen and click it.
4) Go to the bottom part of the screen to find the General section
5) Uncheck “Ignore other applications that use Dynamic Data Exchange (DDE)”