Belkin Wireless G Router (F5D7230-4) , solution applicable also to other wireless models
Frequent wireless disconnections. In my case, normally between a time span of 20-30 minutes before disconnection.
To address this issue, follow the steps below:
Note : The steps below are applicable only for Belkin routers.
- Open an Internet Explorer window on your computer and type in http://192.168.2.1 in the address bar. This will take you to the Belkin router’s web based configuration page. If you are not able to open the page click here.
- You will get a login page. Leave the password blank. Click Submit .
- On the left side of the page, click Channel and SSID below Wireless .
- The wireless channel on the Belkin router is set to Auto by defualt. Change the wireless to a static channel. Click Apply Changes .
- Click Logout in the top right hand corner.
Note: The wireless card in the computer will automatically detect the change in channel number on the router and will update the channel on the card.
You are not able to connect wirelessly mainly due to environmental interference. When the wireless channel is set to auto, the router will cycle to though channels when it detects significant interference. When the router changes channel the wireless connection will reset itself and disconnect all wireless clients connected to the router.
Wireless signals are prone to interference from cordless phones and electrical appliances (e.g., vacuum cleaners, microwave ovens). This is the reason wireless connections can drop. This article explains how to overcome frequent wireless disconnections by changing the channel number (frequency) on the Belkin router.