Zaido is supposed to be a continuation of Shaider. However instead of having just one protagonist GMA 7, the network producer, introduces us to three handsome young men who are the grandchildren of the original hero.
This Filipino-made sentai debuted tonight and of course being a big fan of the Shaider TV series I can’t help but write a review for Zaido. Before you continue however might I warn you that most of what you’ll read is not exactly quite enticing enough to make you like it. May I point out that this maybe because I can’t help but compare Zaido to Shaider. Sorry, a fan is a fan. But I did like some parts. 🙂
Where shall I start? I supposed the summary would be best but their character names escapes me so I’ll pass this one and go straight to a commentary. To make it perfectly clear I decided to categorize my comments into two: What I hate and What I like. Well here goes…
A. What I hate.
– Zaido’s set and costume is ugly. Everything looks like foam with paint on it. I bet stickers would look better than ugly drawn backdrops and design. Twenty years worth of technological advancement and the Shaider set still looks more realistic and stylish to me than that of now. As for the costumes those not clearly made of clothe makes people look bloated and totally fake. (The main reason I hated watching the Richard Guttierez’s fake abs on Captain Barbel)
– I would love to have seen a bigger Fumah Lear. I mean even if it’s just a small set can’t GMA 7 make it look big with special camera lenses. And they could have spiced up Fuma’s place with stage smoke. Tonight after all is the big premiere. Totally bland for my taste.
– the Shigi-shigi music is a big let down too. What the heck was that?! I barely heard the shigi-shigi jingle that I like the most. I was waiting for it to be danced by a couple of hundreds of skull faced-big-eyed minions and all I got was less than a handful of unsynchronized-badly-dressed worshippers. Where’s the chanting? Where’s the sexy Amazons? Boo!
– Although Drigo looks like a walking shrimp more make up would have made up for it.
B. What I like.
– you gotta love those little chest hairs on Dennis Trillo the Blue Zaido. Forget about dinner. Hahaha!!!
– I still can’t decide if I like this or not but it did made me laugh a little. Commander Zion reminds me of Commander Baison on Street Fighter.
– This really made me smile up my ears, Paulo Ballesteros looks good playing as Ida. He had the smooth face and even the lady-like voice of the original Filipino-dubbed Shaider. Brings back memories. 🙂
Overall, I did not like what I initially saw but I’d still give them a chance though. I am sure they are bound to make some improvements as they read reviews on forums and blogs. I just hope they don’t let down another Kapuso fan, like yours truly.